SEND Faculty Information
Sir Thomas Boughey Academy is dedicated to the delivery of a broad ranging and fully inclusive curriculum and our successful SEND Faculty provides a high level of support.
To contact the SEND Faculty, please e-mail the SENCO (Mr O’Connor) email@example.com or by telephone 01782 729406
Aims of the SEND Faculty
- Remove barriers to learning.
- Provide effective provision which enables pupils to achieve their best.
- Secure positive outcomes for pupils with SEND
- Create a learning environment where pupils with SEND can thrive.
- Develop young people who go on to make a positive contribution to society.
At Sir Thomas Boughey Academy we have a team of experienced teaching assistants who work closely with pupils, teachers and parents, providing support which enables pupils with SEND to achieve their best.
- Our SEND Governor is Monica Hall
- Cathrine Bryan – Assistant SENCO – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jackie Day – Teaching Assistant – email@example.com
- Tony Oliver – Teaching Assistant – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charlotte Heath – Apprentice Teaching Assistant – email@example.com
- Esmee Holt – Apprentice Teaching Assistant – firstname.lastname@example.org
Literacy and numeracy intervention
Mr Oliver delivers a small group numeracy intervention to year 11, which is aimed at accelerating their progress in Maths, building confidence and allowing them to achieve their potential.
Our Librarian, Miss Delefane, delivers literacy intervention focusing on reading comprehension to small groups across key stage 3. Good reading comprehension skills are essential if pupils are to fully access their GCSE exams in year 11.
Ms Day and Miss Heath deliver a handwriting intervention aimed at improving the quality/legibility and pace at which pupils write.
Pupils read regularly during tutor time. Pupils are encouraged to read texts appropriate to their reading age.
We also have a group of lead learners who deliver paired reading sessions during tutor times to a group of year 7 pupils.
Pupil Intervention Plans
A Pupil intervention Plan (PIP) will be created for pupils with SEND. This will detail areas where support is needed and the support that is to be put in place either in the classroom, outside of the classroom or at home. These are regularly reviewed and updated and are designed to support the pupil throughout their time at Sir Thomas Boughey.
Great ways to support your child
- Talk to them about what they have learnt during the day.
- Encourage them to read for at least 20 minutes a day.
- Check their planner/show my homework daily.
- Provide them with a designated space at home where they can work.
- Download the school gateway app.
- Attend parents evenings, stay in touch.
Pupils with medical needs
If your child has a long term medical condition which affects their day to day school routine an Individual Health Care Plan is prepared to support the learning of your child. Risk assessments are carried out with parents to ensure the safety of children when out of school on a trip or visit. You can help by informing us as soon as possible about any changes in health or medication to your child, including asthma. We offer support to pupils who may have difficulties moving around the building due to mobility issues resulting from injury or following medical procedure. We aim to support pupils and help to limit their time away from school, minimizing impact on their learning.
- Staffordshire Umbrella Network (SUN) is a networking group looking at issues affecting children with special needs/disabilities and their families, coordinated by Staffordshire SEND Family Partnership Service (link below) https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/education/welfareservice/SpecialEducationalNeeds/spps/sungroups/northstaffs/Northstaffordshire.aspx
- http://www.ndcs.org.uk Link to the National Deaf Children’s Society for all deaf and hearing impaired children
- The British Dyslexia Association http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/
- NHS (Dyslexia) http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dyslexia/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Dyslexia Action http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/
- Young Minds (Dyslexia) http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_parents/worried_about_your_child/dyslexia_dyspraxia
- Special School SEND FAMILY PARTNERSHIP: 01785 356921 email@example.com
- SEND – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- PIP – Pupil Intervention Plan
- LSU – Learning Support Unit
- ASD – Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- EHCP – Education Health and Care Plan
- IHCP – Individual health Care Plan
- CAMHS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services